[Haskell-beginners] (no subject)

David McBride toad3k at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 20:58:47 CET 2013

There are types and constructors.  If "int i = 2"; is a statement, int
is the type, and 2 is the constructor.  You can't put 2 on the left
side and you can't put int on the right side, it wouldn't work.  The
way I like to think of it is that there are types, and then there are
values.  Each value has a type.  Each type can be represented by
different values.  Types are used for type info and values that are
used for code.  When you are declaring a data type it could be
composed of both pieces, and sometimes they are named the same, which
is where your confusion comes from.

data blahtype = blah | blah2 | blah3 int | blah4 Char Int | blahtype

The first blahtype is the type, the others are constructors.  That
last blahtype is a constructor, not a type.  It is completely legal to
have the same name as its type.  The char and int are of course types.

fooFunc :: JSObject -> JSValue -> IO JSValue -- <- all these are types
fooFunc (JSONObject blah) (JSBool bvalue) = return $ JSObject
(JSONObject JSNull) -- <- all these are value related

It is very easy to see when writing functions, but when writing data
types it takes a bit of getting used to because it requires both
aspects at the same time.

data JSValue = ... | JSObject (JSObject JSValue) | ...

The first JSValue is a type.  The first JSObject is a constructor.
The second JSObject is a type and so is the second JSValue.  Put them
together it is a single type "JSObject JSValue".  So that JObject
constructor takes a single type of (JSObject JSValue).

newtype JSObject e = JSONObject [(String, e)]

The first JSObject is again a type.  The e will be replaced with a
type.  JSONObject is a constructor again.  The arguments to JSONObject
are types (String, and whatever e is).  Constructors are essentially
the first word in each possible value.  They are used to pattern match
and to construct new values.

I realize it looks confusing, but it becomes second nature after a little while.