[Haskell-beginners] Haskell Platform: Troubleshooting package configuration errors?

egarrulo egarrulo at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 00:09:21 CEST 2013

On 14/06/13 23:30, Peter Jones wrote:
> egarrulo <egarrulo at gmail.com> writes:
>> Error:
>> Configuring the network-2.4.1.2 package failed
>> make: *** [build.stamp] Error 2
>
> I'm not familiar which system-level dependencies you need to have
> installed via apt-get before you can build the network package but it
> might help to install all of the build depends for the Debian GHC
> package:
>
>    apt-get build-dep ghc6
>
> I've built GHC 7.6.3 on squeeze successfully and I only remember having
> to run that apt-get command plus maybe a few more for the OpenGL -dev
> packages.

Thank you, Peter, but that didn't solve the issue.

Meanwhile I've discovered that I was wrong and there is an automatic way
to install "cabal":

http://www.haskell.org/cabal/download.html

However, building it with the included "bootstrap.sh" fails with:

------------
Linking Setup ...
Configuring Cabal-1.14.0...
Setup: At least the following dependencies are missing:
base >=4 && <3 && >=2 && <5, unix >=2.0 && <2.6

Error during cabal-install bootstrap:
Configuring the Cabal package failed

Still, according to cabal's homepage, "bootstrap.sh" should manage
dependencies:

Quote: "To make the process easier the cabal-install tarball contains a
bootstrap.sh script which downloads and installs all the dependencies."

Shouldn't it?

Thanks for your attention.