[Haskell-beginners] Haskell GTK

Giacomo Tesio giacomo at tesio.it
Mon Jun 10 15:09:13 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Krzysztof Skrzętnicki <gtener at gmail.com>wrote:

> Well, this is just a matter of refactoring some stuff here. You can notice
> that most work is defining several small callbacks so its not really that
> complex. I tend to use that style of nested let's because it saves the
> time: no need to write boilerplate parameter passing, just use what is
> defined in scope. If you cut out callbacks and GUI code you are left with
> literally 8 non-empty lines. Its not that bad for a main.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciated your suggestion. But I can't see how to
apply that code organization to my own project.

> Honestly I don't see why do you think Haskell sucks here. This is just
> plain GTK. If anything it is better with Haskell thanks to static typing,
> higher order functions, great runtime with GC and other stuff. Equivalent
> application in plain C would be much longer and carry more bugs, and Python
> GTK apps are a mess really.
>
> Can you actually point to any GTK MVP framework out there?

In C# I coded a very simple one in few hours (and a more powerful one in a
month). MVP isn't that complex pattern, indeed. I use it to organize code:
View specific concerns (that know about the specific toolkit, GTK, WinForm
etc), a Model that handle business rules and a Presenter that is an adapter
between the two.

Python could be a valid alternative, btw: I'm writing a "simple" plotting
application for financial data and matplotlib is quite flexible.
But since I've found very nice coding the business logic in Haskell, I was
trying to rapidly build a GUI with it.

Giacomo