[Haskell-beginners] Is this a GHC bug? Problem inferring type

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 00:49:18 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Peter Hall <peter.hall at memorphic.com> wrote:

> Show a => a -> a -> String
>>>

>> ...is not monomorphic. If you want that to be inferred, turn off the
>> monomorphism restriction. (And yes, many people *do* consider the
>> monomorphism restriction of standard Haskell to be a bug in the
>> specification.)
>>

> When are we due a new spec? 1998 was quite a while ago...

Most recent spec was Haskell 2010, as pointed out by someone else. There is
some talk of pushing for a 2014 revision which would include (among other
things) removal of the monomorphism restriction — but the standards
committee is notoriously conservative, and IIRC argued against that
proposal in 2010.