[Haskell-beginners] Concrete instance of abstract class

Adrian May adrian.alexander.may at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 07:40:40 CEST 2013

I'm starting to tidy it up:

class Turtlish t where
  type Context t  :: *
  type Content t  :: *
  construct       :: Content t -> Context t -> t
  destruct        :: t -> (Content t, Context t)
  combine         :: Content t -> Content t -> Content t
  contemp         :: Context t -> Context t -> Context t
  conform         :: Context t -> t -> t
  present         :: t -> Dia
  content         :: t -> Content t
  content         = fst.destruct
  context         :: t -> Context t
  context         = snd.destruct
  (>>>),(+++)     :: t -> t -> t
  x +++ y         = construct (content x `combine` content y) (context x
`contemp` context y)
  x >>> y         = x +++ conform (context x) y

but I hit this:

turtle.hs:23:32:
    Could not deduce (Content t ~ Content t0)
    from the context (Turtlish t)
      bound by the class declaration for `Turtlish'
      at turtle.hs:(9,1)-(24,47)
    NB: `Content' is a type function, and may not be injective
    In the return type of a call of `content'
    In the first argument of `combine', namely `content x'
    In the first argument of `construct', namely
      `(content x `combine` content y)'

turtle.hs:23:64:
    Could not deduce (Context t ~ Context t1)
    from the context (Turtlish t)
      bound by the class declaration for `Turtlish'
      at turtle.hs:(9,1)-(24,47)
    NB: `Context' is a type function, and may not be injective
    In the return type of a call of `context'
    In the first argument of `contemp', namely `context x'
    In the second argument of `construct', namely
      `(context x `contemp` context y)'

What does this mean, and how do I fix it?

TIA,
Adrian.