[Haskell-beginners] Q 2 of 2: GUI and turnkey compiler?

Chaddaï Fouché chaddai.fouche at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 21:07:19 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM, Chaddaï Fouché <chaddai.fouche at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> In Linux, we resolved the problem by using package manager that know what
>> libraries need to be installed for each package to work but it means that
>> if you're not using your manager to install a soft, you'll have to install
>> manually the libraries you need (which is probably what happened to Rustom,
>> its debian upgrade removed or upgraded the libgmp.so his manually installed
>> cabal needed).
>>

> Not sure how you come to that diagnosis.
> As far as I can see on my machine
> - cabal is /usr/bin/cabal
> - the apt package cabal-install is installed and lists /usr/bin/cabal as a
> file
>
> So unless something really weird or magic-y happened, my cabal is debian's
> cabal.
>
> And so -- my diagnosis -- the fact that cabal broke after an OS upgrade
> suggests that the apt package cabal has something wrong in its dependencies.

Well yes, that's always a possibility as well but your post seemed to imply
that this was a Haskell problem. If Debian does not track the dependencies
of its packages correctly, this is in no way due to it being Haskell and
could happen with any other executable, whatever language their source may
be in.

--
Jedaï