[Haskell-beginners] Memory usage prediction

Kim-Ee Yeoh ky3 at atamo.com
Thu Jul 4 11:15:17 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 2:31 AM, Emanuel Koczwara
<poczta at emanuelkoczwara.pl>wrote:

> So, I will put it this way: is there a chance, that I will be
> able to predict performance after some time of profiling my code?

The advance that purely functional languages offers is the availing of
hitherto unknown, extremely powerful optimizations. Small changes at the
level of Haskell source can lead to massive, often unexpected changes in
runtime performance. Newcomers often find the "discontinuous" experience
disconcerting (and that's not even counting encounters with the type
checker).

The good news is that once Haskell source gets blender'd into Core,
performance becomes far more predictable. Hence, those who care about every
last drop of time/space usage read Core and put work into making it more
readable.

-- Kim-Ee