No subject

Thu Jan 10 18:17:16 CET 2013

Programming". Christos K. K. Loverdos and Apostolos Syropoulos, 2010.

Section 3.13 pages 163,164

Monads are mathematical structures that were introduced in homological algebra
and later they were introduced in category theory. Eugenio Moggi [53]
was probably
the first researcher who used monads in structuring semantic descriptions of
features such as state and exceptions. Philip Wadler [76] established
a connection
between list comprehensions and monads that led to a generalization of
list comprehensions to an arbitrary monad. This feature was employed
to express concisely in pure functional programming languages programs
that handle exceptions, parse text files, etc. Although it is not
necessary to have a solid background in category theory in order to
understand the various ideas described in the rest of this section,
still we believe it is better to be familiar with some basic notion of
category theory.
In this section we will introduce the reader to these ideas. Readers who are
either familiar with category theory or simply do not want to bother with these
mathematical notions, can safely skip this section and ignore all
future references
to categories.

Categories in a nutshell Categories were first introduced by Samuel Eilenberg
and Saunders Mac Lane. In a nutshell, a category can be viewed as a mathematical
universe. There are many categories and each of them consists of entities,
which have the same nature, and ways to pass from one entity to another. Also,
there are ways to pass from one category to another. In addition, it
is possible to
transform these ways from one category to another while preserving
their internal
structure.

A functor is away to go from one category to another that preserves
the categorical
structure of its domain.

There is a lot more.

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Patrick Lynch <kmandpjlynch at verizon.net> wrote:
> Good morning,
> I've tried to read 5 books on Category Theory and finally have admitted
> defeat.
> What I'm looking for is simply a book that is geared to Haskell and Category
> that can be understood by mere mortals.
> I was trained as an Electrical Engineer, so my math is quite good, but I
> just don't get Category Theory from these books.
> If anyone can recomment a book on Category Theory and Haskell, written by a
> Computer Scientest [no more Mathematicians for me], I welcome it.
> Thanks,
> Patrick

Regards,
KC