[Haskell-beginners] How to interact with a process

Miguel Negrao miguel.negrao-lists at friendlyvirus.org
Tue Jan 29 11:01:30 CET 2013

A 28/01/2013, às 19:36, Martin Drautzburg escreveu:

> Hello all,
>
> I know how to play a Midi file. I also know how to read the keyboard. But I
> don't know how to bring the two together such that I can start and stop
> playing from the keyboard.
>
> It is not required (just nice to have) that the console remains responsive
> while the midi file plays. But it is essential that I can stop the
> performance.
>
> Is this difficult?

I’m also a beginner, so take this with a grain of salt:  I suppose the midi playing command doesn’t block until finished playing otherwise you couldn’t stop midway. If that is the case you can do something like

main =	forever readFromConsole

readFromConsole = do
	in <- getLine
	processInput in

processInput “start” = startMidi
processInput “stop” = stopMidi

where startMidi and stopMidi are functions.

best,
Miguel