[Haskell-beginners] missing ghci, need to install cca

Franco franco00 at gmx.com
Sat Jan 26 10:56:34 CET 2013

Hello haskellers,

I am trying to install Euterpea [1], a DSL computer music development written
in Haskell. Its git repository lies here [2].

Once finished cloning it, i tried running 'cabal install'.

Packet CCA-1.0.3 fails to install with errors like

> src/Language/Haskell/TH/Instances.hs:175:12:
>     Template Haskell bracket illegal in a stage-1 compiler
>       [| D# ($(return (LitE (DoublePrimL (toRational d))))) |]
>
> src/Language/Haskell/TH/Instances.hs:175:18:
>     Template Haskell splice illegal in a stage-1 compiler
>       return (LitE (DoublePrimL (toRational d)))

> CCA-0.1.3 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
> ExitFailure 1
> Euterpea-1.0.0 depends on CCA-0.1.3 which failed to install.

I have been warned by the #haskell irc channel on freenode that those errors
essentially mean "you don't have ghci installed, so no template haskell for you".

Indeed my platform (ARM, running Debian ARMHF) does not have ghci.

Question is: do you think there is a workaround to install package Euterpa
(or CCA?). Or should I just give up?

[1] http://haskell.cs.yale.edu/euterpea-2/
[2] https://github.com/dwincort/Euterpea