[Haskell-beginners] Antiderivative (indefinite integral)?

Martin Drautzburg Martin.Drautzburg at web.de
Sat Jan 19 23:50:26 CET 2013

On Saturday, 19. January 2013 20:41:32 Denis Kasak wrote:
 However, if
> the same function was given to you as an infinite list of tuples of (x,
> f(x)) you would need to do an infinite number of steps just to compute the
> antiderivative, much less prove anything about it.

An if the function is given as rows in a table (discrete, finite) then I can
compute the derivative by just looking at two successive values, however for
the antiderivative I have to look at all values between the lowest possible x
and the running x.

If the function is discrete but has no lower bound for x, then I cannot
compute an antiderivative at all, at least not one which will be correct for
any x.

I wrote an antiderivative function for discrete values and ended up passing it
a lower bound for x. IIUC then there is no way to avoid this.

Is this about right?

It is still somewhat strange. For a discrete function f(i) I can compute the
definite integral F(b) - F(a) but I cannot compute F(a) or F(b) themselves.
Right?

--
Martin