[Haskell-beginners] Cabal problems

Abram Demski abramdemski at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 02:02:53 CET 2013

Hi all,

I'm just trying to install some of the games from the game list (on the
wiki) so that I have something to look at. I tried the ones which have
cabal packages as I assumed that would be easy. Every one I tried so far
has failed to install. Below are two of the quickest failures. Any comments
are appreciated. Is there something I'm generally not getting? Or are there
just various problems with installing possibly-old packages?

abram at whitehead:~$ cabal install shu-thing
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring Shu-thing-1.1.1...
Building Shu-thing-1.1.1...
Preprocessing executable 'shu-thing' for Shu-thing-1.1.1...
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( Shu-thing.hs,
dist/build/shu-thing/shu-
thing-tmp/Main.o )

Shu-thing.hs:4:27:
    Module
    `Control.Exception'
    does not export
    `Exception(ExitException)'
Shu-thing-1.1.1 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

===

abram at whitehead:~$ cabal install spaceInvaders
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring HGL-3.2.0.0...
Building HGL-3.2.0.0...
Preprocessing library HGL-3.2.0.0...
[ 1 of 27] Compiling Graphics.HGL.Internals.Flag (
Graphics/HGL/Internals/Flag.
hs, dist/build/Graphics/HGL/Internals/Flag.o )
[ 2 of 27] Compiling Graphics.HGL.Internals.Utilities (
Graphics/HGL/Internals/Utilities.hs,
dist/build/Graphics/HGL/Internals/Utilities.o )

Graphics/HGL/Internals/Utilities.hs:33:31:
    Expecting one more argument to `E.Exception'
    In the type signature for `safeTry':
      safeTry :: IO a -> IO (Either E.Exception a)

HGL-3.2.0.0 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

--
Abram Demski
http://lo-tho.blogspot.com/