[Haskell-beginners] How Haskell Fits Into an Operating System / API Environment

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Aug 19 10:18:11 CEST 2013

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 10:55:00AM +0200, Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:
> Philippe Sismondi wrote:
> >I am the original poster on this. [..]
[...]
> >At the risk of pouring fuel on the fire, I would ask: Can anyone
> >point me to scientific studies quantifying the benefits of pure
> >functional languages? I expect they exist, but I am interested not
> >just in lack of errors, but in overall productivity. (It's easy to
> >avoid program bugs: just write programs that don't do anything, or
> >don't write any software at all.)
>
> You know well that (1) such studies are hard to design for any
> language and (2) nobody asks for studies that quantify the benefits
> of imperative languages, simply because they happen to be the status
> quo.
>
> Still, there are some interesting case studies, for instance
>
>   P Hudak and M P Jones
>   "Haskell vs. Ada vs. C++ vs. Awk vs. ...
>    An Experiment in Software Prototyping Productivity"
>   http://haskell.cs.yale.edu/?post_type=publication&p=366

There are also a few articles on Erlang, and I believe there's good
reason to believe the results with that language can be transferred to
other "languages without assignment".

- Productivity gains with Erlarng
  http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1362710
  slides: http://is.gd/BgGZyh
  (behind a paywall, I haven't found a freely available copy)

- Breakthrough in software design productivity through the use of
  declarative programming
  http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925527397807669
  (behind a paywall, I haven't found a freely available copy)

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term.
     -- Alan Kay