[Haskell-beginners] Enterprise-quality XML library?

Mike Meyer mike at fpcomplete.com
Wed Aug 7 20:16:44 CEST 2013

I've been looking for an enterprise-grade XML library. My standard for
comparison is Python's lxml library (a wrapper around libxml2 and libxslt).
The only thing I've found that's even close is hxt, and it falls a bit
short.

Specifically, when I feed it invalid XML, I get this error:

error: The content of element "school" must match ( "author"* ). Element
"author" expected, but element "auther" found.

error: Element "auther" not declared in DTD.

Whereas from lxml I get:

lxml.etree.XMLSyntaxError: No declaration for attribute name of element
auther, line 24, column 19

This is shorter and clearer, and identifies the location of the error. It
does have better error messages for ill-formed XML.

Is there a library with a validating parser that provides better quality
error messages?

It also seems like mapping an XML Schema into a collection of Haskell types
should be a function of the library. Is there on that does that, or is this
completely untenable?