[Haskell-beginners] firering event in netwire

Ertugrul Söylemez es at ertes.de
Sun Sep 30 05:39:20 CEST 2012

Nathan Hüsken <nathan.huesken at posteo.de> wrote:

> >> Or asked differently, how is the "keyDown" event defined, that was
> >> talked of in an earlier mail?
> >
> > In the direct case you can define it as a simple composition:
> >
> >     isSym :: KeySym -> SDL.Event -> Bool
> >     isSym s (KeyDown s') = s == s'
> >     isSym _ _ = False
> >
> >     keyDown = require . isSym
> >

> While I understand the principals, I am unsure about the practical
> usage. The input of keyDown is an SDL.Event. But in an application, I
> would have a list of Events for every invocation of stepWire. So I
> could define keyDown like this:
>
> keyDown s = require . and . map (isSym s)
>
> That would give me an event when my desired keypress event is in the
> list of input events.
> but if I then want to create a wire passed in this which outputs if a
> given key is currently pressed, I would attempt something like this:
>
> isPressed :: KeySym -> WireP [SDL.Event] Bool
> isPressed s = hold . (True . (keyDown s) <|> False . (keyUp s))
>
> But if some fast typer releases and presses within one stepWire a
> certain key, isPressed would produce an incorrect result.

You can still write isPressed by interpreting it as "has been pressed"
instead:

    isPressed :: KeySym -> WireP [SDL.Event] Bool
    isPressed sym =
        True <$ keyUp sym . keyDown sym <|>
        fix (\again ->
            False . not (keyDown sym) -->
            True . not (keyUp sym) -->
            again)

However, I rather recommend against passing multiple SDL events at once.
Wires can handle individual events much better and, when properly
designed, also faster.

Greets,
Ertugrul