[Haskell-beginners] an observation about Haskell vs. Python

Dennis Raddle dennis.raddle at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 05:33:12 CEST 2012

Thanks. I'm okay with the status quo.. I just see it as a tradeoff. You are
giving up something to get something. In Python you give up any kind of
compile-time type checking, you give up the safety of immutable data, and
you get a whole lot of automatic type conversions and brief ways to express
certain algorithms. In Haskell you give up easy-to-comprehend error
messages and mutable data, and get back in reward a lot of reassurance that
your program does what you meant and expressivity. (I realize Haskell has
mutable data but it's not like Python's)