[Haskell-beginners] Algorithmic Advances by Discovering Patterns in Functions

Kim-Ee Yeoh ky3 at atamo.com
Tue Sep 18 10:56:12 CEST 2012

Roger,

>  Scientists look for recurring patterns in nature. Once a pattern is
discovered, its essential ingredients are identified and formalized into a
law or mathematical equation.

You could think of lambda calculus as a general language for formalizing
and applying patterns. Squint enough and pinning down a pattern starts to
look like lambda abstraction; using the pattern, function application.

> Here is some intuition on why it is called the fold function: Imagine
folding a towel.

Generally we don't look for insight in the layperson meaning of technical
terminology. Sure, folding a list is intuitively like folding a long strip
of paper. But folds also apply to trees and even gnarlier datatypes, and
there intuition loses steam.

Sometimes it's better to internally alpha-rename to a fresh variable to
avoid being misled. The meaning lies in the *usage* of the term, so in a
way it's not really in English after all.

> We saw that the fold function can be defined for the Nat data type. In
fact, a suitable fold function can be defined for every recursive data type.

How would you define a fold for

data S a = S (a -> Bool)

?

-- Kim-Ee