[Haskell-beginners] Comfortable handling of module hierarchies

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 17:37:35 CEST 2012

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM, damodar kulkarni
<kdamodar2000 at gmail.com>wrote:

> A feature being "more complicated" for the users to use or for the
> implementers to implement cannot be the SOLE reason

Haskell started out with a completely flat namespace; a minimal and
minimally disruptive "hierarchical" namespace was added, without any
special semantics and without any intent to define such semantics.

Haskell does not have the concept of modules as containers that you seem to
have; it never has had them; and there are ongoing and unresolved arguments
over whether some ML-like module system should be adopted, so it's unlikely
that they would be added in the absence of such resolution.

You apparently believe such a thing is implicitly part of namespaces and
that we need some reason to not have automatically created them to your
specifications.  Could you explain where you got this notion?