[Haskell-beginners] Who discovered map reduce?

Bryce bryceverdier at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 01:19:47 CEST 2012

In the same vein as the "who discovered the fold operation" thread from
last week, I would like to know the same answer for "map".

I tried looking it up on wikipedia, but the best line I could find from
it is this:
"The map function originated in functional programming languages but is
today supported (or may be defined) in many procedural, object oriented,
and multi-paradigm languages as well: In C++'s Standard Template
Library, it is called transform, in C# (3.0)'s LINQ library, it is
provided as an extension method called Select."

Does anyone have an answer or idea on where I could look?

Thanks in advance and sorry if it it's a redundant question.

Bryce