[Haskell-beginners] sometimes Haskell isn't what you want

damodar kulkarni kdamodar2000 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 11:58:45 CEST 2012

> ... strict typing is getting in the way....

When Haskell's strict typing seems to get in your way, chances are more
that you are heading for a big and nasty problem (aka, bug) sometime down
the line, unless you are extremely careful of what you do.

Strict typing is a boon to software designers in that it helps point out
even major design flaws and that too rather earlier.

But, apart from this, if one is trying to deal with a computational problem
involving lots and lot of state-change (and things like memoization etc),
then there is no "easy" way out for a beginner in Haskell. IMHO, that's
because, Haskell isn't modelled after the so called state-change model of
computation.

But I am sure, Haskell Gurus out there may help you out if you give more
inputs about your problem.

-Damodar