[Haskell-beginners] Can't install json-.0.4.4 - memory allocation failed

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fhcrc.org
Mon Nov 19 19:18:53 CET 2012

Hi all,

Please tell me where I should post this if this is not the appropriate list.

I tried to install the json-0.4.4 package on Mac OS 10.5.8, and got this error:

$  sudo cabal install "json-0.4.4"
Building json-0.4.4...
[1 of 7] Compiling Text.JSON.Types  ( Text/JSON/Types.hs,
dist/build/Text/JSON/Types.o )
[2 of 7] Compiling Text.JSON.Pretty ( Text/JSON/Pretty.hs,
dist/build/Text/JSON/Pretty.o )
[3 of 7] Compiling Text.JSON.ReadP  ( Text/JSON/ReadP.hs,
dist/build/Text/JSON/ReadP.o )

Text/JSON/ReadP.hs:104:21:
    Warning: A do-notation statement discarded a result of type b.
             Suppress this warning by saying "_ <- n",
             or by using the flag -fno-warn-unused-do-bind
[4 of 7] Compiling Text.JSON.Parsec ( Text/JSON/Parsec.hs,
dist/build/Text/JSON/Parsec.o )
ghc: memory allocation failed (requested 2097152 bytes)
json-0.4.4 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

This is on a machine with 16GB of RAM.

I don't think
http://www.haskell.org/cabal/FAQ.html#cabal-goes-into-an-infinite-loop--runs-out-of-memory
applies because I'm using higher versions than mentioned there:
$ ghc --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.12.3
$ cabal --version
cabal-install version 0.8.2
using version 1.8.0.6 of the Cabal library

I know Mac OS 10.5.8 is old, but unfortunately ugrading this
particular machine is not an option.
Hope someone can help.
Thanks,
Dan