[Haskell-beginners] dynamic set of objects in netwire

Ertugrul Söylemez es at ertes.de
Fri Nov 9 04:06:54 CET 2012

Nathan Hüsken <nathan.huesken at posteo.de> wrote:

> >> The most obvious interface is through input.  However, this really
> >> only works when only the user of the manager should be able to add
> >> or remove subwires.  The interface is as simple as something like
> >> this:
> >>
> >>     data MgrMsg k e m a b =
> >>         Add k (Wire e m a b) |
> >>         Delete k
> >>
> >>     managerBasic ::
> >>         (Monad m, Monoid b, Ord k) =>
> >>         Wire e m (a, [MgrMsg k e m a b]) b
> >
> > Mmh, how could you (form the outside) connect the output to the
> > induvidual managed wires?
> > Let's say I from one of the values in the output "b" I decide I want
> > to delete the corresponding wire? I need to know the key "k".  OK, I
> > could encode "k" in the output but should I then not explicitly
> > return "k" with it?
>
> Acually I am just realizing that I can "plumb" my wires so, that its
> output is (k,b) to get exactly this effect.

This is a more general problem:  How does a subwire /select/ a key for a
new wire it wants to create?  To most obvious answer is to use the
underlying monad, which should be safe enough.  Otherwise you can allow
adding without a key and the corresponding subwire then gets the key fed
back.

Greets,
Ertugrul