[Haskell-beginners] problems with wxHaskell installation

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Mon May 28 20:44:18 CEST 2012

Miguel Negrao wrote:
> When I try to install wx after updating cabal it is failing on version 0.90..0.1:
>
> miguelnegrao at Mac-Miguel:~$ cabal install wx
> Resolving dependencies...
> Configuring wx-0.90.0.1...
> Preprocessing library wx-0.90.0.1...
> Building wx-0.90.0.1...
> [ 1 of 16] Compiling Graphics.UI.WX.Types ( src/Graphics/UI/WX/Types.hs, dist/build/Graphics/UI/WX/Types.o )
> [ 2 of 16] Compiling Graphics.UI.WX.Attributes ( src/Graphics/UI/WX/Attributes.hs, dist/build/Graphics/UI/WX/Attributes.o )
> [ 3 of 16] Compiling Graphics.UI.WX.Layout ( src/Graphics/UI/WX/Layout.hs, dist/build/Graphics/UI/WX/Layout.o )
> [ 4 of 16] Compiling Graphics.UI.WX.Classes ( src/Graphics/UI/WX/Classes.hs, dist/build/Graphics/UI/WX/Classes.o )
> [ 5 of 16] Compiling Graphics.UI.WX.Media ( src/Graphics/UI/WX/Media.hs, dist/build/Graphics/UI/WX/Media.o )
> [ 6 of 16] Compiling Graphics.UI.WX.Events ( src/Graphics/UI/WX/Events.hs, dist/build/Graphics/UI/WX/Events.o )
> [ 7 of 16] Compiling Graphics.UI.WX.Window ( src/Graphics/UI/WX/Window.hs, dist/build/Graphics/UI/WX/Window.o )
>
> src/Graphics/UI/WX/Window.hs:134:52:
>    Not in scope: `textCtrlChangeValue'
> wx-0.90.0.1 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
> ExitFailure 1
>
> Does this mean that the package that was pushed to cabal has an
> actual  error ? How do I "use the latest patch level releases” of the packages ?

Jeremy forgot to narrow the version dependencies of the family of wx
packages, not every combination that cabal accepts will actually work.
The effect is that you have to reinstall the packages in the right order
and with the right version number to get it to work. The following
should do the trick

     cabal install wxdirect-0.90.0.1
     cabal install wxc-0.90.0.3
     cabal install wxcore-0.90.0.1
     cabal install wx-0.90.0.1

The last number in the version number indicates bug fixes, that's why I
refer to it as "patch-level".

> Thanks for helping out. Seems I’m really unlucky with cabal and wxHaskell..

Not only you, I am afraid. In fact, I am tempted to purchase a lucky
charm for cabal issues.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--