[Haskell-beginners] Category question

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon May 28 18:11:32 CEST 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Manfred Lotz <manfred.lotz at arcor.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 May 2012 10:04:33 -0400
> Brent Yorgey <byorgey at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 02:08:14PM +0200, Manfred Lotz wrote:

> > > No, I do not want to drop the requirement of existence of an
> > > identity morphism. I only want to drop the axion that idB .f = f
> > > and f . idA = f do hold because IMHO this follows readily from the
> > > definition of what an identity morphism is all about.
> >
> > "Follows readily from the definition of what an identity morphism is
> > all about" -- and what exactly is that defintion?
> >

> For me id: A -> A could be defined by: A morphism id: A -> A is
> called identity morphism iff for all x of A we have  id(x) = x.

Well one of the main themes of category theory is to not have that as a
necessary definition. Of course many interesting categories will work as
you expect.
But some extreme ones dont eg.

Monoid as a category
http://planetmath.org/?method=l2h&id=8111&op=getobj&from=objects

Poset as a category
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partially_ordered_set#In_category_theory

A more haskell oriented answer will (I guess) talk about the virtues of
point-free style...