[Haskell-beginners] Help!, was Re: Trouble with "import qualified"

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Thu May 24 19:43:11 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 09:34:22AM -0700, Dudley Brooks wrote:
> Hi.  I've had this up for over a week, and haven't received any
> response.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When you say "had this up", what do you mean?  I don't see any other
messages from you to the haskell-beginners list.

> >in particular
> >
> >	import qualified Data.Map as Map
> >
> >which, following the instructions, I put in a .hs file which I attempted
> >to load into GHCi with :l. I got
> >
> >	parse error on input `import'

It's impossible to tell what's wrong only from this description.  If
you upload an *exact* copy of your file somewhere (e.g. hpaste.org)
I'm sure someone could take a look.  Some general things to watch out
for:

  * the real error could be in the previous line to the one being
    reported

  * all the imports have to come at the very beginning of a module

  * don't put any spaces or tabs before "import"

-Brent