[Haskell-beginners] Issue installing reactive-banana-5.0.0.1

Miguel Negrao miguel.negrao-lists at friendlyvirus.org
Fri May 4 20:15:45 CEST 2012

Hi,

>> Is any generality lost because of this or are the approaches
>> equivalent ?
>
> Once you have a timer, you can make a behavior
>
>  time :: Behavior t Time
>
> that indicates the current time and thus allows you to write functions that depend on the current clock time, just like in Conal's papers.
>
> In other words, the approaches are largely equivalent.
>
> The thing is just that different GUI or audio frameworks tend to have different implementations of timers and reactive-banana can't decide which one is more appropriate. For instance, Henning Thielemann uses ALSA-timers in his reactive-balsa package
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/reactive-balsa-0.0
>
> At some point, I intend to offer some common time-related functionality (for example as in the Wave.hs example) for different backends.

Ok, I see, yes make sense.

One other question, is it possible in reactive-banana to define “recursive” event streams. For instance consider a stream which receives numbers between 0.0 and 1.0.  If the last outputted value was between 0.8 an 1.0 then output 1-x otherwise output x. After that it only leta numbers through if they are between 0.0 and 0.2 or between 0.8 and 1.0.

 This looks like:

---------------------------
|    y > 0.8                  |<--------------y----------------|
|                                  |						|
--------------------------						|
|                   |								|
| yes           | no							|
V                V								|
1-x             x 								|
|                 /								|
V              /								|
--------------								|
|										|
|										|
|    select values between 0.0 and 0.2  |		|
|    and 0 8 and 1.0                                   | 		|

best,
Miguel Negrão