[Haskell-beginners] Signals and external bindings...

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed May 2 20:29:17 CEST 2012

On Wed, 2 May 2012 13:46:39 -0400
Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
> You can use wrappers which save the old signal handlers and install new
> ones which clean up after your plugins and return.  Doing so, and thereby
> learning the hard way what "clean up after your plugins" entails (unless
> you were very careful designing and writing them in the first place), will
> teach you why nobody tries to automatically handle it for you.  (In the
> general case, your plugin has to track *everything* so it can unwind (or
> commit, as appropriate) memory and resource allocations on signal.)

So unless I'm using something like Qt which can catch the signals and
run it's own code to call back to my code and then shut itself down,
I'm pretty much SOL.

    Thanks,
    <mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org>		http://www.mired.org/
Independent Software developer/SCM consultant, email for more information.