[Haskell-beginners] No accumulation of partially applied functions allowed?

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Wed Jun 27 00:39:11 CEST 2012

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012, Alec Story <avs38 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Because of Haskell's type system, there are some expressions that you
> simply cannot compile.  Most of them you don't *want* to compile because
> they do bad things (like add two strings, for example).  Some things are
> legal in Lisp but don't typecheck in Haskell for exactly the reasons that
> Brent pointed out.  They might make sense in some contexts, but the
> compiler isn't able to reason about them.

Thanks, Alec.

What is a formalized version of

   It is not possible in Haskell to define `applyTo`.*
   * At least not without crazy type class hackery.

I think the difficulty must arise mainly from the *, meaning I
think, "any type" in the above `applyTo`.*.  Would it be
easy/convenient to define `applyTo`.(a, b, c) where a is a "type
variable"?  In general can we, for any finite number n, where n > 2,
easily/conveniently define `applyTo`.(a1, a2, ..., an) ?

Ah, I see that the problem is for lists of length 3, so for the
type, if it be such, that I might write as [a, a, a], ah, OK, I
will fire up GHCi and have a look.

oo--JS.