[Haskell-beginners] No accumulation of partially applied functions allowed?

Obscaenvs obscaenvs at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 22:08:49 CEST 2012

Sorry if this is a less than stellar question.

The problem:
Given a function f :: a -> a -> a -> b, make it work on a list instead:
f `applyTo`[x,y,z] where [x,y,z] :: [a].
My stab at a general solution was
`
applyTo f [] = error "no arg"
applyTo f (x:xs) = go (f x) xs
     where
       go acc [] = acc
       go acc (y:[]) = acc y
       go acc (y:ys) = go (acc $ y) ys
`

I thought this would work, functions being "first class citizens" but
ghci complains:
     "Occurs check: cannot construct the infinite type: t1 = t0 -> t1
     In the return type of a call of `acc'
     Probable cause: `acc' is applied to too many arguments
     In the expression: acc y
     In an equation for `go': go acc (y : []) = acc y"

The 'probable cause' isn't the real cause here, but something to do with
the fact that it's impossible to accumulate functions in this way...
Or am I just too tired too make it work? I can see that the type of `go`
could be a problem, but is it insurmountable?

/F