[Haskell-beginners] Scoping within arrow notation (using HXT)?

Ertugrul Söylemez es at ertes.de
Fri Jun 8 18:20:13 CEST 2012

Hello there,

the structure of an arrow computation cannot depend on inputs.  All
arrow variables (to the left of '<-' or '->') are inputs to following
computations.  For instance:

    proc x1 -> do
        x2 <- c1 -< x1
        x3 <- c2 -< x2
        returnA -< f x2 x3

The variables x1, x2 and x3 are arrow variables and are out of scope
to the left of '-<', because if they were in scope, the structure of the
computation could depend on arrow variables, and you would in fact have
a monad instead of an arrow.

Note also that 'proc x -> c -< x' is the same as 'c', and 'do' notation
is an extension to 'proc' notation.

You may be interested in my (unfinished) arrow tutorial:

    <http://ertes.de/new/tutorials/arrows.html>

Greets,
Ertugrul

http://ertes.de/