[Haskell-beginners] wxHaskell path

Henry Lockyer henry.lockyer at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 7 02:17:23 CEST 2012

Hi Miguel
As you say, the pre-loaded mac os version is older than 2.9 (mine is 2.8).
I was not very clear - it was not really 'removing' the old one that I meant to ask about, but how did you
perform the instruction (at  http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/WxHaskell/MacOS_X   which says:
"3. Check your path to make sure you are using your wxWidgets and not the default Mac one"

I have installed and built wxWidgets 2.9 but not made any changes to path variables (whichever may be involved).

If I type command "wx-config --release" it tells me the widgets version is 2.8.
If I type command "wx-config --prefix it tells me it is in "/usr"
If I type command "wx-config --static it says there is no config to match this.

So I conclude (if I interpret it right...) that I have a dll version of widgets 2.8 in my path at /usr

Does homebrew take care of this somehow when it loads 2.9?

I am not sure if anything else is using this 2.8 dll, and/or how to best set the path up so I can use 2.9
with wxHaskell.

Sounds like I should definitely take a look at homebrew, so thanks for the recommendation.

I'd also be interested to know what you get in response to wx-config (with parameters as above) if you have not
made any manual changes to path variables etc. yourself.

I also just saw this posted by Gregory Guthrie in another wxHaskell thread ("wxHaskell install errors"):
"If the libraries are already installed but in a non-standard location then you can use the
    flags --extra-include-dirs= and --extra-lib-dirs= to specify where they are."
This makes me think that the 'instruction 3' in the wxHaskell macosx instructions I quoted above is perhaps not
necessary, or at least there is an alternative when it comes to the cabal step. This may solve one of my
problems/questions at least, but needs more investigation.

Cheers/ Henry