[Haskell-beginners] wxHaskell path

Henry Lockyer henry.lockyer at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 6 13:31:16 CEST 2012

Thanks a lot Miguel.   I recently discovered your posts about 'reactive banana' and wxHaskell and started looking through them.

Unfortunately I am a c/c++ compilation/make/etc. and general unix newbie, or oldbie in my case, (amongst many other areas of deep ignorance ;-)
so I am finding some of the information/instructions a little hard to follow.

I went for version 2.9 of widgets first, as it seemed better, for the reasons you mention.
In fact the wxHAskell mac-specific advice only refers to 2.9, on the page you refer to.

I downloaded 2.9.3 from wxWidgets.org as I'm not familiar with homebrew.
I followed the wxWidgets installation instructions to build it. Which mostly seemed to be OK but with a warning about QuickTime
which is evidently a 32 vs 64 bit issue.

I tried to make sure everything was OK at each step before going on to the next one, to avoid Too Many Variables syndrome,
so before installing wxHaskell I checked out wxWidgets 2.9.3 with some of the demos. Some of them did not seem
to be working quite right, also I had questions about the path variable, removing the 2.8.8 libraries, 32 vs 64 bit, QuickTime etc.
and started thinking it might be more efficient to just go with the existing 2.8.8 widgets in the meantime, but then immediately
hit the $wxwin question !

I did wonder if $wxwin might be specific to Windows, but on the wxHaskell page I linked below it is in the main flow of the
text rather than in the Windows/MacOSX-specific parts.

I posted my earlier questions on the "wxhaskell-users" list but it seems a bit quiet there so I might re-post them here.

How did you establish that your wxWidgets was installed and working as expected,
and can I ask how you removed the pre-loaded mac os version of widgets (if you had this) ?

Regards/ Henry