[Haskell-beginners] DPH installation and LLVM

listig314 at gmail.com listig314 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 20:49:47 CEST 2012

Dear all,

being completely new to Haskell I wanted to explore what DPH is about, so I tried to install it via

cabal install dph-examples

but the installation process stops once it gets to installing the actual examples package:

---
Building dph-examples-0.6.1.3...
Preprocessing executable 'dph-spectral-smvm' for dph-examples-0.6.1.3...
[1 of 3] Compiling Vectorised       ( examples/spectral/SMVM/dph/Vectorised.hs, dist/build/dph-spectral-smvm/dph-spectral-smvm-tmp/Vectorised.o )
exprType TYPE ghc-prim:GHC.Types.Double{(w) tc 3u}
exprType TYPE ghc-prim:GHC.Types.Double{(w) tc 3u}
exprType TYPE ghc-prim:GHC.Types.Double{(w) tc 3u}
exprType TYPE ghc-prim:GHC.Types.Double{(w) tc 3u}
exprType TYPE ghc-prim:GHC.Types.Double{(w) tc 3u}
exprType
    TYPE (ghc-prim:GHC.Types.Int{(w) tc 3J},
          ghc-prim:GHC.Types.Double{(w) tc 3u})
Warning: Couldn't figure out LLVM version!
         Make sure you have installed LLVM
ghc: could not execute: opt
dph-examples-0.6.1.3 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1
---

This is the rest of my setup:

Mac OS X 10.7.4
Xcode 4.3.3 + Command Line Tools (from within Xcode)
Haskell Platform 2012.2.0.0 32bit

Why doesn't Haskell find the LLVM compiler? Is there a way to install the remaining examples without LLVM compilation?

Thanks,
Oliver