[Haskell-beginners] data at different stages

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Sat Jan 28 06:39:42 CET 2012

You may be interested in the approach outlined in Wouter Swierstra's
paper "Data Types a la Carte".  There is also the 'syntactic' package
which is based on Wouter's ideas.  This is exactly the problem it was
trying to solve -- having several slightly different versions of a
data type, *without* having to do a lot of repetition (as in your
separate data types approach) or throwing away the type system's help
(as in your approach with Maybes).

In any event it's a fun paper to read.

-Brent