[Haskell-beginners] Cabal complains that cabal-dev “indirectly depends on multiple versions of the same package”, even though it (apparently) does not

James Fisher jameshfisher at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 22:15:43 CET 2012

Hi all,

I've just asked this on SO as well (
but to repeat the question:

After clearing out all of my cabal installed packages, I ran this following

$ cabal update
Downloading the latest package list from hackage.haskell.org
james at bast:~/.cabal/packages$ cabal install cabal-dev
Resolving dependencies...
Downloading cabal-dev-0.9.1...
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             (
/tmp/cabal-dev-0.9.124882/cabal-dev-0.9.1/dist/setup/Main.o )
Linking /tmp/cabal-dev-0.9.124882/cabal-dev-0.9.1/dist/setup/setup ...
Configuring cabal-dev-0.9.1...
Warning: This package indirectly depends on multiple versions of the same
package. This is highly likely to cause a compile failure.
package containers- requires array-
package Cabal-1.14.0 requires array-
package text- requires array-
package deepseq- requires array-
package containers- requires array-
package HTTP-4000.2.2 requires array-
package cabal-dev-0.9.1 requires containers-
package Cabal-1.14.0 requires containers-
package template-haskell- requires containers-
Building cabal-dev-0.9.1...
Preprocessing executable 'ghc-pkg-6_8-compat' for cabal-dev-0.9.1...
<command line>: cannot satisfy -package-id
    Cabal-1.14.0-4af45d3c8d10dc27db38ae0e7e5a952b is unusable due to
missing or recursive dependencies:
    (use -v for more information)
cabal-dev-0.9.1 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

So the reason I can't install cabal-dev is apparently either that

   - it "indirectly depends on multiple versions of the same package."
   However, cabal does not name the package that it claims cabal-dev requires
   multiple versions of.
   - Cabal-1.14.0 has "missing or recursive dependencies", specifically
   somehow involving array- and containers-

A graph of the dependencies it lists confirms that neither of these claims
are true (or the dependencies it lists are false or incomplete):

[image: claimed dependency graph of cabal-dev-0.9.1]

*So: what am I missing? Who or what is incorrect: me, cabal, or one or more

I am running:

$ cabal --version
cabal-install version 0.10.2
using version of the Cabal library
$ ghc --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 7.4.1

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  I get errors from cabal
fairly often and I usually end up giving up because I don't understand the