[Haskell-beginners] Data.Text to Int?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 16:05:43 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Emmanuel Touzery <etouzery at gmail.com>wrote:

>     I expected "read" to work directly on a Data.Text because Data.Text has
> an instance of the Read class, but it seems to fail:

An instance of Read means that read can *produce* a Text, not that it can
consume one.  read always reads from a String, as you can see from its type:

    Prelude Data.Text> :t read
    read :: Read a => String -> a

(Note that it is the result type a in the context for Read.)

See the Data.Text.Read module (part of the text package you already have
installed) for how to do similar things with a Text as a source.