[Haskell-beginners] multiple version warning

Christopher Howard christopher.howard at frigidcode.com
Fri Dec 14 01:11:01 CET 2012

On 12/13/2012 12:35 PM, Christopher Howard wrote:
> When I added the cmdtheline package to the dependency list in my
> project, and reconfigured, I ended up with this warning:
>
> code:
> --------
> $ cabal configure
> Resolving dependencies...
> Configuring edge-0.8.19...
> Warning: This package indirectly depends on multiple versions of the same
> package. This is highly likely to cause a compile failure.
> package gloss-1.7.6.6 requires bytestring-0.10.0.1
> package bmp-1.2.3.2 requires bytestring-0.10.0.1
> package binary-0.5.1.1 requires bytestring-0.10.0.1
> package unix-2.5.1.0 requires bytestring-0.9.2.1
> package text-0.11.2.1 requires bytestring-0.9.2.1
> package parsec-3.1.3 requires bytestring-0.9.2.1
> --------
>
> However, so far, the project seems to build fine, even using some of the
> cmdtheline functions and data types. So, is this something I can ignore,
> or is this going to cause me problems down the road?

For posterity: This problem went away after I reinstalled my project
package. During the reinstallation, cabal recalculated the dependencies
and reinstalled an earlier version of one of the packages. So evidently
cabal was smart enough to figure out the proper package versions needing
to be installed to avoid the dependency conflict.

--
frigidcode.com