[Haskell-beginners] Are tuples really needed?

Dmitry Vyal akamaus at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 08:21:16 CEST 2012

 > Wouldn't Haskell be "cleaner" if it had left tuples out, replacing
them with some standard types added (Pair, Triple, ...) and similar fst,
snd functions? Then curry and uncurry wouldn't even be needed if I have
this right.

I guess it's a matter of syntax. Arguably (x,y) is much clearer and
closer to mathematical notation than Pair x y. Don't forget, the same
story for lists, you can represent [a,b,c] with Cons a (Cons b (Cons c
Nil)) but from ancient times of lispers use a syntactic sugar for that.