[Haskell-beginners] Are tuples really needed?

David McBride toad3k at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 16:23:50 CEST 2012

Pattern matching makes tuples really useful.  Sometimes you just want to
return a pair of values and you don't feel like making a one off
constructor for it.

Eg: random :: (RandomGen g, Random a) => g -> (a, g).  Without tuples you'd
have to have a one off type data RandomGenWithRandom g a  = RGWR g a, which
is overkill, when you just wanted two values.