[Haskell-beginners] Good style on "." and "$" pipeline?

Felipe Almeida Lessa felipe.lessa at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 03:41:17 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM, koomi <koomi at hackerspace-bamberg.de> wrote:
> On 21.08.2012 22:43, Brent Yorgey wrote:
>> Having more than one $, like (f1 $ f2 $ fn $ arg), is frowned upon.
> Care to explain why this is considered bad? I don't see anything wrong
> with this.

It's just a matter of taste.  Personally, I usually prefer using many
($)s rather than combining (.)s and ($)s on the same "phrase".  For
example, I prefer

  foo =
    finish $
    doSomethingOther $
    doSomething $
    initialArg

  foo =
    finish .
    doSomethingOther .
    doSomething $
    initialArg

It gives me a feel of simmetry.  You may even align the $s, either on
the left or on the right.

But, like I said, it's just a matter of taste =).

Felipe.