[Haskell-beginners] some cabal file values

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Mon Aug 20 21:08:04 CEST 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 11:05:52AM -0800, Christopher Howard wrote:
> I was getting reading to upload a module to hackage. I did that once
> before a long time ago, so I reused and modified an old .cabal file.
> Current there are two copied-in values that I am not sure about:
>
> Cabal-version:       >=1.2

It doesn't matter a whole lot unless you are using various extensions
to the .cabal format.  In fact cabal will complain at you if you use
features not supported by the version you specify.  However, at
present the suggested value is

  Cabal-version: >=1.10

> Build-depends:       base >= 4 && < 5

This should be fine.  The latest released version of base is 4.5, and
4.6 will be coming out with ghc 7.6.

-Brent