[Haskell-beginners] cabal install errors & issues

Benjamin Edwards edwards.benj at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 16:47:32 CEST 2012

Ahh, I think network is a pain to build on Windows. I don't as a rule do
any haskell on windows because of the headaches of msys / mingw.

As to cabal-dev:

I don't think I even know what the paragraph means either. The short of it
is this:

You have packages that are globally registered with ghc, and packages that
are registered on a per user basis. When you call cabal-dev install foo it
makes a build dir called cabal-dev (you can change that) and builds foo in
there and installs + registers and deps that weren't in the global or user
database in there.

*phew*

hsenv: I forget that this is called virthualenv on hackage. It also allows
for sandboxing. Cabal-dev is probably easiest to start with.

You might want to read this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/f3ykj/psa_use_cabaldev_to_solve_dependency_problems/