[Haskell-beginners] what is a qualified type?

Christopher Howard christopher.howard at frigidcode.com
Fri Aug 10 05:42:40 CEST 2012

On 08/09/2012 06:54 PM, Antoine Latter wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Christopher Howard
> <christopher.howard at frigidcode.com> wrote:
>
> In what context are you seeing the term used?
>
> Antoine

I'm pulling the term vaguely from memory. The idea had something to do,
I think, with a type that has no other purpose than to qualify another
type, and somehow makes the programming more safe. I'm not referring to
qualified module imports, as someone suggested.

In my mind it is associated with "safe constructors" (another concept I
am relearning) but I'm not sure if the two concepts are actually related.

I know there is a book called "Qualified Types: Theory and Practice" by
Mark Jones <http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~mpj/pubs/thesis.html> but I haven't
read it.

--
frigidcode.com