[Haskell-beginners] Resources to learn functional programming

Patrick Redmond plredmond at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 12:30:26 CEST 2012

Although many resources have been mentioned here, I'd like to
recommend "How To Design Programs", <http://www.htdp.org/>, which
approaches functional programming from a Scheme (Racket) perspective.
This book is how I learned functional programming and developed an
interest in Haskell.

In HTDP, higher order functions aren't introduced until you've been
taught how to write similar code without them. Then you learn that
your code can be abbreviated using things like map, foldl, foldr,
ormap, andmap, etc. The book moves into more complicated uses of
functions-as-data near the end.

Hope you find it useful,
Patrick