[Haskell-beginners] Haskell as a useful practical 'tool' for intelligent non-programmers

Nicholas Kormanik nkormanik at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 22:16:38 CEST 2012

I am not a programmer, and have no intention of becoming one. I'm a stock
and options trader. MetaStock is one of the primary programs I use. Other
statistical and mathematical programs as well.

Very often when some small need arises, I Google-search for a solution.
There seems to be any number of freeware utilities out there in cyberland --
and more all the time -- that do pretty much whatever is needed.

Additionally, Mathematica (as one example) has a powerful programming
language built in.

So, my question is: Does it make practical sense to spend time learning
Haskell for the purpose of adding it to my assortment of 'tools' -- to
quickly do this or that, as the need arises?

Is there any better general practical 'tool' (or, if you want, 'programming
language') to add to my arsenal.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Nicholas Kormanik