[Haskell-beginners] Program reliability and multiple data constructors; polymorphism

Lyndon Maydwell maydwell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 18:06:26 CEST 2012

There is some funkyness going on with records there.

You can sidestep the issue by giving each constructor its own type of
argument record:

type Pt2 = (Float, Float)

data Shape =   Circle    CircleData
             | Square    SquareData
             | Rect      RectData
             | Composite CompData
               deriving (Show, Read)

data    CircleData = CircD   {circleOrigin :: Pt2, radius   :: Float}
deriving (Show, Read)
data    SquareData = SquareD {squareOrigin :: Pt2, side     :: Float}
deriving (Show, Read)
data    RectData   = RectD   {bottomLeft   :: Pt2, topRight :: Pt2}
deriving (Show, Read)
newtype CompData   = CompD   {shapes       :: [Shape] }
deriving (Show, Read)

x = shapes $ RectD (0,0) (1,1) -- Throws an error on compile

I'm not sure what is going on in your example, but it seems like each
constructor adds its record argument's fields to a shared record type
or some such magic. Nasty.