[Haskell-beginners] Getting started with repa on MacOS

Konrad Hinsen konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net
Fri Oct 28 19:07:52 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

I had looked at Haskell some years ago but dropped it because there wasn't much support for the kind of work I do, which is numerical computation. Now there's exciting new stuff such as repa, so I decided to give it another try.

I installed the Haskell platform 2011.2.0.1 for MacOS X 10.6 and started working through the tutorial at

	http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Numeric_Haskell:_A_Repa_Tutorial

Unfortunately I didn't get very far, because I am stuck at installing repa:

	cabal install repa
	Resolving dependencies...
	cabal: cannot configure repa-2.2.0.1. It requires base ==4.4.*
	For the dependency on base ==4.4.* there are these packages: base-4.4.0.0.
	However none of them are available.
	base-4.4.0.0 was excluded because of the top level dependency base -any

I don't understand what this means (what's so bad about "any"?) nor do I have the slightest clue what to do about it.  There's a brief Stack Overflow discussion about this at

	http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7375719/cabal-install-dependency-error-base-was-excluded-because-of-the-top-level-de

but it doesn't provide a solution either. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I just recall that my goal is not understanding cabal, but working with repa.

Konrad.