[Haskell-beginners] About Data (was List of all prelude function types?)

David McBride toad3k at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 05:54:17 CEST 2011

Haskell has so many pure functions and utilities, that nearly
everything falls into data manipulation if you think about it.  IO
related things tend to be in system.  Control has concurrency and
monadic stuff.  Most larger applications have their own toplevel
module like Yesod, or XMonad.  Mostly it comes down to, it feels
appropriate to put things in Data most of the time, especially if it s
a small library that does nothing on its own, so people do it.

When I want to browse a hierarchy, I go to ghci and type :bro Control.
and hit tab to complete on all the ones, then look at ones that
interest me.  If I want more info, look up that import in hayoo and
read the haddock documentation for it.