[Haskell-beginners] Search for docs on operator '<+>'.

Allen S. Rout asr at ufl.edu
Thu Nov 10 21:21:49 CET 2011

On 11/09/2011 01:24 PM, Brent Yorgey wrote:

> In fact, Allen, I now recall seeing you on the xmonad mailing list --
> perhaps you saw<+>  in an xmonad config?  In that case, indeed, it is
> NOT the ArrowPlus operator, but something defined by xmonad.  In the
> context of xmonad,<+>  is used for combining ManageHooks (actually, it
> can be used to combine any two things which have a type that is an
> instance of the 'Monoid' type class, but is most commonly used for
> ManageHooks).

Yes, indeed.  The message I summarise from all of this is that <+> isn't
an official piece of language, it's in a formal fringe that might be
enclosed in the future, but for the moment is a local convention whose
meaning is merely colloquially influenced by formal uses.

I figured I'd pick up the conversation in xmonad-land when I had
something approximating a concise question.

Digressing, let me say 'thanks' for the variety of useful answers I've
gotten from the haskell community on this acknowledgedly ignorant couple
of questions. :)

- Allen S. Rout