[Haskell-beginners] Question about constraints, signatures

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Fri May 6 18:12:55 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 11:34:47AM -0400, Philippe Sismondi wrote:
> I am trying to understand the Typeclassopedia article by Brent Yorgey in Monad.Reader. I am simultaneously working my way through Real World Haskell, so I may be doing things a bit out of order.
>
> Here is my question (which may itself be unclear, as I am a true *noob* at this):
>
> Why are there two different kinds of "constraints" in a signature, viz. those that specify types and those that specify typeclasses?  For instance, we could write this:
>
> f :: (Num d) => d -> String -> Int
>
> In my example above there are two kinds of things that constrain f:
>
> (a) d must be an instance of Num; and
> (b) the second argument to f must be of type String, and f must return an Int.
>
> I (more or less) understand that types and typeclasses are not the same. But it seems to me that they do conflate in a way, if we think of types as defined by functions on them. So why should we not be able to write:
>
> f ::  Num d -> String -> Int

Your intuition is good: in fact, this is the way type classes are
implemented under the hood!  A constraint (Num d => ...) is translated
into a parameter (Num d -> ...) where an argument of type 'Num d' is a
*dictionary* (i.e. record) containing implementations of the Num
methods for the type d.

The reason for the special syntax is that for you, the programmer,
there is a fundamental difference: arguments (dictionaries) coming
before => are *implicit*, that is, you do not provide them yourself,
the compiler figures out what they should be and supplies them
automatically.  Arguments coming after => are explicit arguments which
you must provide when calling a function.

One might ask why it is not possible to explicitly provide
dictionaries if you want: this is a good question and an interesting
area of research, and very related to the notion of "functors"
(i.e. parameterized modules, not the same thing as Haskell Functors)
in ML.

-Brent